Thrifty Home Dec

by SmithorJones on May 14, 2009

in Around the House, Cool Stuff, Decor, Frugal Living, Garden, JonesGirl, Life, weather

img_7108I finally got the curtains made for the bedroom.

It only took five years. Mostly because I already had a curtain up – sort of. I had made it from a sheet once.

I have a friend who does amazing things with thrifted sheets. I’ve never quite developed that nack, so every time I looked at the curtain in the bedroom, it looked like I had a sheet hanging in the window. But, it was indeed in the window, so as long as it was up, I just never seemed inspired to replace it. Just too many things to knit instead.

This year

I decided it was time. I was tired of looking at the sheet – it was a clever idea, but it was time for a change. So, when I took the “curtain” down to wash it – I decided I was not going to re-hang it – and then I’d be forced to get the new curtain made. Motivation.

Now, I have a bolt of fabric in my fabric stash that I bought at least a decade ago. It was on sale. It was on an amazing sale, and it just felt right to buy it. However, it was similar to a hat-buying experience – it looked great in the store, and then once I got it home I wondered what in the WORLD I was thinking. Still, maybe I could find a use for it some day – so I kept the bolt of fabric.

Fast forward to 2009, I am in curtain sewing mode. I ask Smitty what he thought about me using this loud Home Dec fabric for curtains for the bedroom. Smitty heard “free” home dec fabric – and he was all for it.

I measured the window

I added length for the hem, and then more inches for the top. I just used the long tape measure and folded it over the curtain rod, pulled it up for a ruffle, then pinched the spot on the tape that would correspond with the edge of the fabric – and I had my length. Very scientific. I love scientific. 😉

I figured I’d need two pieces that length, so I measured out (in this case 60 inches) of fabric, cut a snip in the selvedge and tore. Then, I repeated the process. You can do that (tear across the width of the fabric) with most natural fiber fabrics.  Be careful doing it though – and you will get a piece of fabric that’s nicely on-grain to work with – that means it’s going to hang straight. Be gentle though if you try this – or you could get stretching.

img_7113After that it was just a matter of trimming the selvedges off, finishing raw edges, turning up the hem and the top part, stitching and sliding it on the rod.

I wanted to add a little extra to the window though. I didn’t have any solid color fabric that would match, but as I mulled this over, I thought about a bag of old linens I’d gotten from my grandmother. There were a couple of sheer panels in that bag. They’re actually well-used sheers, but you can only see the pilling on them if you’re handling the fabric – and hanging in the window in my bedroom you can’t tell they’ve seen better days. So, same thing, just kind of “eyeballed” what I needed to trim and modify, and after a little bit more time, I had the center panel.

All in all a satisfying little project that took very little time – and zero dollars. Sweet!

Share

{ 2 comments… read them below or add one }

Mama May 14, 2009 at 6:42 pm

Oh Cathi they look terrific, so glad the bag of ‘stash’ came in handy for the event.

lisa May 14, 2009 at 11:18 pm

Well done, they look great!!

Leave a Comment

CommentLuv badge

Previous post:

Next post: